There is not much better than a ridiculously obscure joke… The kind when not many “get it”, but when that one person does you are both just rolling on the floor silent laughing together until you can barely breathe.
This is one of those. I present the “Box, Sheet, Egg” Amazon gift card holder?!
Read on for why!
Long story, short..early December 2017 Amazon put out an advertisement which was to showcase great gifts for men. It was actually some sort of sleep aid where the “egg” was a control for the product…but as per usual… the internet took it and ran! LOL, here is the tweet that set it on fire:
So, I just had to do it, here is how to make your own:
- small amounts worsted weight yarn in ivory, white, dark gray, light gray, and lime
(Shown is Caron Simply Soft in White, Off White, Charcoal Heather, Chartreuse, and Simply Soft Party in Gray)
- Size F (3.75mm) crochet hook (I crochet TIGHT, you may need to drop a hook size, you want this to be tightly stitched so very little to no holes are showing)
- tapestry needle, scissors, E6000 glue to secure the parts further if you like
With white, chain 13:
Row 1: hdc in 2nd ch from hook (skipped chain does not count as a st) and in each rem ch across. (12)
Row 2-25 ch 1 (does not count as a st), turn, hdc in each st across, do not cut yarn after row 25, continue to edge round. (12)
Edge Round: ch 1, sc in the end of each row down the long side, make 3 sc in the 1st across row 1, sc in each st cross until the last st on row 1, make 3 sc in the last st, make 1 sc in the end of each row up the 2nd side, make 3 sc in the 1st st of row 25, sc in each st across until the last is reached, make 3 sc in the last st on row 25, sl st to 1st sc made in the edge rounds and cute yarn.
The sheet has a small green tag on it, fold the sheet in half so the right side of the edge round is facing up and join the lime yarn in the edge round st at about row 12, ch 1, sc in the same edge round sc and the nxt 4, cut yarn.
Weave in all tails.
The Egg: (Make 2)
With ivory, make a magic circle, ch 1:
Rnd 1: (2 sc, 2 hdc, 4 dc, 2 hdc, 3 sc) all in the ring, sl st to 1st sc made, cut yarn leaving long tail, pull beginning tail tightly to close center hole.
With light gray, chain 20:
Row 1: hdc in 2nd ch from hook (skipped chain does not count as a st) and in each rem ch across. (19)
Row 2-13: ch 1 (does not count as st), turn, hdc in each st across, do not cut yarn instead continue to edge round.
Edge Round: ch 1, sc in each st and end of row, and 3 sc in the same st at each corner, repeat around as you did for the sheet edge, sl st to 1st sc made and cut yarn.
Fold the piece evenly in half with the right side of the edge round facing out, using the tails and sewing through both side thicknesses, stitch it into a pouch for the card to slide into.
Add the light gray flap to the box:
With the assembled bottom of the box positioned so the opening is facing up, join the light gray yarn in the right most st of the back side of the pouch only:
Row 1: ch 1, hdc in same st and in nxt 18 sts.
Row 2-4: ch 1, turn, hdc in same st and in each st across, cut yarn after row 4.
Edge the flap:
Position the box so the back side of the box is facing you (the side the light gray flap is worked on is the back side of the box)
Join the light gray yarn with sl st in the side of row 1 made of the light gray flap, ch 1, sc in the same row end from the side and nxt 3 row ends, make 3 sc in the 1st st across the top of row 4, sc in each st across row 4 until the last st, make 3 sc in the last st, then sc in each of the 4 rows ends of the light gray flap down the side. Use the tails to bring together the edge round of the light gray to the dark gray part of the box so it appears cohesive.
Add the green tag to the flap:
Position the box again so the back side is facing you (the side of the pouch the flap is worked on is the back side of the box to remind you), join the lime green yarn with a sl st in the 3rd st in from the right edge of the light grap flap, ch 1, sc in same st and next 3 sts, cut yarn.
Use the main photo as a guide as you work. I sewed together with yarn and then also used a bit of E6000 to secure where I felt needed.
- Fold the sheet in half with the right side of the edge round face up and so the top layer is slightly shorter than the bottom later and slightly right of center. The green tag should sit on the left side and be up near the folded half. The even fold provides for visual interest. I used the tails of the sheet to tack the position into place as I wove the ends in.
- Lay the assembled box on top of the folded sheet as shown in the photo, the left corner is just above the middle of the sheet and the right corner is off the edge of sheet and the entire thing is tilted slighty. Using a piece of yarn and working ONLY through the BACK HALF of the BOX POUCH, sew it to the sheet, taking care to not bring the stitches all the way the back of the sheet so they cannot be seen. Only sew through the back panel of the box and the top layer of the sheet.
- Attach the egg half way on the box and half way on the sheet.
- Insert gift card.
- Laugh your butt off when you and someone who are in on the joke get it.
Much Love and Yarn,
The information and photos in this posting are the sole copyrighted property of Crochetverse©2017. Please do not copy and paste any of the information contained within either electronically, verbally, or written in part or in whole. Instead, please share the DIRECT LINK to this posting only, and if you do, I thank you for sharing. You of course may sell anything you make from this pattern that you have made with your own two hands, no contract labor or mass productions are permitted. If you credit Crochetverse as the designer that is greatly appreciated!