Hi! Jack Frost is certainly no slacker and Winter is in FULL force here! There is definitely a big chill in the air!
So, I’ve decided to add something to that…. and throw some LOVE in the air too!
Welcome to the free pattern for the:
JUMBO VALENTINE’S DAY CROCHET BUNTING
Each of those hearts you see is about a FOOT tall!
– Size N/P(10.0mm) crochet hook
– Tapestry needle & scissors
– (40 yards) super bulky (size 6) yarn for each heart you intend to add to your project
(Shown: (1) skein each of Lion Brand Hometown USA in Neon Pink, New York White, Honolulu Pink, Cincinnati Red, & Dallas Gray)
The Heart: (Make as many or few as you wish!)
I’ve made five hearts, one in each color listed in the materials section above.
Make magic circle: (DO NOT turn rounds, mark the 1st st of the round to keep track as needed), if you see a stitch rep marked as X/X/X, that means to skip all those stitches.
Rnd 1: ch 2 (counts as dc here and throughout the heart), 2 dc in the ring, ch 2, *3 dc in the ring, ch 2, repeat from *, two times more, sl st to the top of the beg ch-2. (12 dc)
Rnd 2: sl st across the next 2 dc, sl st into the nxt ch-2 sp, ch 2, (2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in the same sp, ch 1, *(3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in the nxt ch-2 sp, ch 1, repeat from * TWO times more, sl st to top of beg ch-2 made. (24 dc)
Rnd 3: sl st across the nxt 2 dc, sl st in to the nxt ch-2 sp, ch 2, 5 dc in the same sp, ch 1, 3 dc in the nxt ch-1 sp, ch 1, (sc, ch 1, sc) in the nxt ch-2 sp, ch 1, 3 dc in the nxt ch-1 sp, ch 1, 6 dc in the nxt ch-2 sp, ch 1, 3 dc in the nxt ch-1 sp, ch 1, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in the nxt ch-2 sp, ch 1, 3 dc in the nxt ch-1 sp, ch 1, sl st to the top of the beg ch-2. (32 sts)
Rnd 4: sl st across the nxt 2 dc, hdc in the nxt dc, dc in the nxt st, 2 tc in the nxt, sk the nxt ch-1 sp and dc, 10 tc in the nxt dc, sk the nxt dc/ch-1/sc, and sl st in the ch-1 sp between the 2 sc, sk the nxt sc/ch-1 sp /dc, 10 tc in the nxt dc, sk the nxt dc and ch-1 sp, 2 tc in the nxt dc, dc in the nxt st, hdc in the nxt st, sl sl in the nxt 2 sts, tie off, leaving a long tail about 18″ long.
Create Tassels: (Make 2, using 10 strands for each)
For this, I have created a short video to show you! Pop over to my Youtube and watch it. This method can be used for ANY project and ANY weight of yarn!
1. Arrange your hearts in your desired order, and using the long tail from the tie off of the heart’s last round; attach each heart to the one next to it with the tapestry needle. You will stitch in the BACK LOOPS ONLY, using a ladder stitch (right to left, left to right, and so on). Counting from the center middle of the heart, you will begin at the 9th tc of the 10tc grouping and stitch down matching stitch for stitch to the opposite heart for 7 sts. The image shows the ladder stitching before I pulled it snug so you can see what it is. Repeat this to attach all the hearts together and weave in any remaining ends.
2. Double strand the color of your choice for the connecting chain that runs across the top (I used white).
A. Leave about an 8″ beginning tail and chain 5. Begin at the right most heart in your connected strip with the right side facing up. Sl st into the SIXTH tc on the right hump of the heart of the 10tc group (counting away from the center of the heart) using a shallow back post sl st. Do this by inserting your hook from RIGHT TO LEFT from BACK TO FRONT just UNDER THE TWO BARS at the top of the 6th st (not around the post of the tc, just under the bars. This video linked below demonstrates a SHALLOW POST STITCH, which is what you need to do here.
B. Chain 8, then sl st in the same way as above in the 6th tc of the 10tc group counting out from the center on the left hump of the heart.
C. Chain 5, and sl st in the same manner as Step A across the second heart.
D. Continue in the same manner, chain 5 between 2 different hearts and chain 8 between the humps on the same hearts.
3. Using the tapestry needle, stitch a tassel to either end of the connector chain just made.
That is it! Any questions? See below for ALL the links to ALL my pages and let me know!
HANG AND ENJOY! <3 <3 <3
I’d love to see how you use the project, post on my Facebook page linked below and show me!
Much Love and Yarn,
The information and photos in this posting are the sole copyrighted property of Crochetverse©2016. Please do not copy and paste any of the information contained within either electronically, verbally, or written in part or in whole. Instead, please share the DIRECT LINK to this posting only, and if you do, I thank you for sharing. You of course may sell anything you make from this pattern that you have made with your own two hands, no contract labor or mass productions are permitted. If you credit Crochetverse as the designer, that is greatly appreciated!